martedì 6 gennaio 2015

Russel Norman and POLPO Restaurant




I don't know where to start...
Last night I went to Polpo in Soho! I heard a lot about Polpo and his owner Russel Norman, so I decided to give it a try...and the result is WHY IS RUSSEL NORMAN AND POLPO SO FAMOUS?
First of all...an English owner which sells italian food cooked by a portuguese chef (I don't know the chef but I asked the waiters ;-)...I'm like what? What is this place?! Russel, don't take this personal...but just cos U had travelled in italy doesn't make u an expert of it...why are u doing this?!....I almost forgot I am 100% italian born and raised...this doen't make me better then anybody else or an expert in food, there's lots of italians which eat and cook bad food, but it's not me...Anyway...
It seems to me that Polpo wants to look cool...but italian food is not cool, italian food is simple, humble and super tasty...like my grandma used to cook...an humble house with Not expensive ingredients, cos we didn't have the money, but the result was extraordinary...the only thing that reminds me of my grandma is the "ricami" on the window and on top of the lights, but unfortunately this is not 1980 but 2015 and those ricami are not cool at all, maybe at Polpo they think they are cool, but trust me they are not!
Then, at the corner of the bar there's a big container, like a big pot with bottles of white wine, what really shocked me is that those bottles are open, they took off the cork and put the bottles in there, and there the bottles stay all night...again this might look cool to the Polpo family but is not...ask any sommelier and they will tell u...why are those bottles open? The wine by the end of the night will be dead, think about this way...take and apple and slice it in half...after 20 mins what happen to the apple? It gets brown! Why? Cos of the Oxygen! So why do u do something like that Polpo? Maybe cos u think is cool? Well is not...I don't know for u Russel but for italian people wine is very important,   It's part of our culture and U should respect those people which produce wine with lots of dedication and passion...so at least put the cork back on those freakin bottles!!!


                                                                                    (I took this pic, low quality sorry ;-)

Then...again wine has to be served in a wine glass...not in a water glass ( again u think is cool? Is not! It's just poor) and when I asked a proper glass of wine I've been given a little plastic glass which seems like a toy for my kid...


                                                                                                       (I took this pic)

then something which business speaking concern me quite a lot...Barrafina which is a Spanish tapas bar (VERY VERY GOOD) serve amazing Spanish wine by the glass, a glass is 12,5 cl and the average price is 8 pounds, Polpo serves wine by the "glass", 25 cl (Barrafina is 12,5cl) and the average price is 8 pounds, like Barrafina...so they both have the same average price but Polpo is double the quantity 12,5cl vs 25cl;
just to make this easy....

BARRAFINA 12,5 cl 8 pounds
POLPO 25 cl  8 pounds

This might seems cool but is not cos, I've been working in this business for quite a lot now and I know the profit on wine and the only reason this could happen is cos the quality of the Polpo wine is way lower then Barrafina wines, otherwise there's no reason why this could happen!
Now let's talk about the food...OMG!
I had a cicchetti plate, which means one of every cicchetti, which is a starter, the whole plate was terrible, crab croquette bland, potato croquette just seems not fresh, "Da Mori" seems an insult, really what is it? Fried olives...for real? Then the salmon crostini...holy s... My dog wouldn't eat it...he would look at me and he would say (my dog) "wtf man, get a grip! Wtf is that?

                                                     
                                                                           (this is only an illustrative pic, I didn't take it)

Then the PIZZA, and here It's gettin personal...THAT IS NOT A PIZZA! The dough was bland, too much garlic on the spinach...it was disgusting!
                                                           
                                                                          (this is only an illustrative pic, I didn't take it)

And here comes the meatballs...which is a very poor dish, not often found in a restaurant in Italy (never forget spaghetti and meatballs is an italian-american dish, not italian)...but it could be very delicious if well done...well this wasn't the case, probably frozen, not sure, and the tomatoes sauce was well under cocked and again bland...do they have salt and pepper in that kitchen?


                                                                         (this is only an illustrative pic, I didn't take it)

Well after that I decided to stop eating...
I almost forgot...they serve the SPRITZ which is an italian cocktail made from Aperol, prosecco which is a sparkling wine (not still wine) and soda water...I had it (but Polpo version is whit still wine) and what I think?  if u want an amazing Spritz go to PRINCI in wardour street!
The whole experience was very bad I would never go back...when I left I was so disappointed and hungry that I went to Barrafina, where I got my smile back again, they have never disappointed me...keep it up guys! Gracias!
So what I'm trying to say here is...why is RUSSEL NORMAN AND POLPO so freakin famous...maybe cos English people they don't know about italian food so U can fool them, but this is not fair and honest, even though is not fair play with people money...and stomach! 


Mamma miaaaaaa Russel!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento